To celebrate the new movie, DEADPOOL 2, in theaters May 18, everyone’s favorite Merc with a mouth, has made his mark (literally) at 7-Eleven® stores nationwide. 7-Eleven has launched exclusive Deadpool themed products, sweepstakes promotions, and its first ever augmented reality (AR) in-store experience that literally brings Deadpool into the store, exciting fans with new surprise activities each week. All AR activities can be accessed through the 7-Eleven mobile app.
In 2016, the original Deadpool movie from 20th Century Fox broke multiple box office records, including the biggest opening weekend ever for an R-rated movie. Ryan Reynolds is back as the smack-talking Marvel anti-hero in the much-anticipated second coming.
Coast to coast, inside and out, participating locations are blanketed with messages, doodles, and thoughtful musings from everyone’s favorite hero.
“We are bringing an unprecedented level of excitement to 7-Eleven this summer. Our customers love Deadpool, and our collaboration includes exclusive products and an amazing in-store augmented reality experience that is among the first of its kind at any retailer,” said Sean Thompson, 7-Eleven senior vice president and chief customer officer.
“Deadpool fans can come to our stores and find fun collectibles and different augmented reality experiences unlocked each week through our app,” he added. “We hope people will play along with us – virtually and in real life – and share their experiences with friends and family on social media.”
Exclusive Deadpool-branded items from collectible Slurpee® cups and straws to chimichangas, Monster Mutant bottled energy drinks, Mike’s Harder Watermelon Lemonade and Trolli Sour Brite Tiny Hands candy can be found at participating stores.
“To make this even more exciting, 7-Eleven is launching an Augmented Reality (AR) gaming experience, first of its kind in retail, with Deadpool,” said Gurmeet Singh, Chief Digital and Chief Information Officer. “Fans can interact with Deadpool and have fun experiences in the 7-Eleven app, unlocking different experiences each week exclusively in the stores nationwide and in Canada. The fans will also be able to share their interactions with Deadpool inside a 7-Eleven store with family and friends. We think Deadpool fans will love seeing him come to life in our stores.”
By scanning the 7-Eleven app at checkout, customers can earn 7Rewards® loyalty program points and enter a contest for a chance to win prizes such as movie tickets, a trip to Las Vegas and more. But the biggest news is the in-store AR that invites Deadpool fans to engage in fun virtual activities (new ones each week) to earn 7Rewards bonus points.
While Deadpool evokes “maximum effort” to fight the bad guys in the movie, jumping into the Deadpool AR experience at 7-Eleven stores is easy. All it takes is the 7-Eleven app.
Here’s how it works:
- Tap: Tap the camera icon on the home screen of the 7-Eleven app, and Deadpool appears to guide fans through the experience.
- Selfie: Take a selfie and watch the mad scribbler take over with his red marker.
- Seek: Here a zapcode, there a zapcode. Scannable codes throughout the store unlock new activities and 7Rewards bonus points. The fun changes every week so fans are invited to visit often. One never knows where Deadpool will pop up. Literally. Once unlocked, an experience can be accessed later, even after leaving the store.
That’s the augmented reality part of the Deadpool 2 experience. The real-life part can be found in the exclusive items at participating stores.
“Deadpool definitely left an impression at their stores,” said Zachary Eller, executive vice president of Marketing Partnerships at 20th Century Fox. “Great to see that 7-Eleven has truly embraced the ‘creative genius’ that is Deadpool with this program.”
Here is the Deadpool 2 product mashup:
Monster makes a comeback at the Slurpee machine with Mutant Red Dawn flavor. This is the first time in a decade that a Monster energy drink flavor will make a splash on the Slurpee machine. Monster Mutant Red Dawn Slurpee drinks – say that five times fast.
- Cups! Five collectible cups, each with Deadpool striking a different pose along with a colorful comment. A different cup will be released each week and can be used for both Slurpee and Big Gulp® drinks.
- Suck on this. Nothing completes a Monster Mutant Red Dawn Slurpee in a Deadpool cup than straws with tiny Deadpools climbing up the side.
- Chimichangas! Deadpool says he loves saying chimichanga in multiple languages. 7-Eleven has delicious chimichangas that people will love in every language – and two sizes for all size appetites. Look for mini chimis in the hot foods case and Deadpool on the package of larger 7-Select™ Chimichangas in the cold case. Available in two varieties, chicken or steak and black bean, the 7-Select Chimichanga has a special limited time offer – two for $2.50. Regular price is $1.99.
- Deadpool drinks. Look! He’s in the vault on bottles and cans! Monster Mutant energy drink and Mike’s Harder Watermelon Lemonade also get in on the Deadpool 2 action with limited-time packaging.
- Tiny hands! Deadpool’s tiny hands scene in the first movie has become a gif sensation. Deadpool fans can make their own gif using Trolli Sour Brite Tiny Hands candy. Or just eat them. They’re delicious. Available exclusively at participating 7-Eleven stores. Suggested retail price is $1.99.
For its marketing campaign, 7-Eleven is meeting Deadpool fans where they are – in movie theaters and online. Cinema advertising is a first for 7-Eleven, and the company will activate on movie screens in 13 markets across the U.S.
“With Deadpool, you learn to expect the unexpected,” Thompson said. “7-Eleven has a few more surprises planned as well, both inside and outside the store, and when you least expect it. Stay tuned. The fun is just beginning.”
7-Eleven encourages fans to share their Deadpool experiences with photos on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag #DPx7E. Not a 7Rewards member? Customers can sign up for 7Rewards via the mobile website, 7Rewards.com, by messaging “7Rewards” to the Facebook Chatbot on Messenger, or by using a physical loyalty card. Customers can also pay via Apple Pay or Google Pay making their experience even more convenient.
‘Deadpool 2’ opens nationwide May 18.
Jason Price founded the mighty Icon Vs. Icon more than a decade ago. Along the way, he’s assembled an amazing group of like-minded individuals to spread the word on some of the most unique people and projects on the pop culture landscape.