Morrissey is set to hit Broadway for the first time in his career playing a retrospective show at New York City’s hallowed Lunt-Fontanne Theater. The affair will run for seven days from May 2nd to May 11th and promises an intimate yet exciting exploration of Morrissey’s expansive career from his early days to his upcoming new record ‘California Son’: a collection of 1960/70s classic covers out on May 24th via Étienne Records/BMG.
Another milestone in an already storied career, longtime fans of Moz will get a rare opportunity to see the star branch out into new territory and take the stage like never before.
Tickets go on sale to the general public beginning this Friday, March 8th at 10am EST at Ticketmaster.com.
After last year’s “heartfelt” (Rolling Stone) cover of the Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” gave fans a taste of what was to come, Morrissey follows his acclaimed eleventh studio album ‘Low in High School’ with ‘California Son’ that will see Moz take on luminaries of the 60s and 70s like Joni Mitchell, Dionne Warwick, and Bob Dylan while also delving into more obscure musicians of the time, such as early gay icon Jobriath and political activist Phil Ochs. The collection also boasts collaborations with alt-rock royalty including Billy Joe Armstrong (Green Day), Ed Droste (Grizzly Bear), Sameer Gadhia (Young the Giant), and LP
Morrissey recently teased the release of ‘California Son’ by dropping his stirring rendition of the Roy Orbison classic “It’s Over” (with LP) — LISTEN HERE
MORRISSEY BROADWAY RESIDENCY DATES
5/2/2019 – New York, NY – Lunt-Fontanne Theater
5/3/2019 – New York, NY – Lunt-Fontanne Theater
5/4/2019 – New York, NY – Lunt-Fontanne Theater
5/7/2019 – New York, NY – Lunt-Fontanne Theater
5/8/2019 – New York, NY – Lunt-Fontanne Theater
5/10/2019 – New York, NY – Lunt-Fontanne Theater
5/11/2019 – New York, NY – Lunt-Fontanne Theater
‘CALIFORNIA SON’ TRACK LISTING
- Morning Starship (Jobriath) with Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear
- Don’t Interrupt The Sorrow (Joni Mitchell)
- Only a Pawn In Their Game (Bob Dylan) with Petra Haden
- Suffer the Little Children (Buffy St Marie)
- Days of Decision (Phil Ochs) with Sameer Gadhia of Young The Giant
- It’s Over (Roy Orbison) with LP
- Wedding Bell Blues (The Fifth Dimension) with Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day & Lydia Night of The Regrettes
- Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets (Dionne Warwick)
- Lady Willpower (Gary Puckett)
- When You Close Your Eyes (Carly Simon) with Petra Haden
- Lenny’s Tune (Tim Hardin)
- Some Say I Got Devil (Melanie)
Jason Price founded the mighty Icon Vs. Icon more than a decade ago. Along the way, he’s assembled an amazing group of like-minded individuals to spread the word on some of the most unique people and projects on the pop culture landscape.